Monday, January 6, 2025

Tanay Area- Philippines: Week 12

 HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿฅณ


Dang it's 2025, that's crazy! And this whole next year I won't touch my feet on American soil๐Ÿ˜ญ 

New Year, New Me!!! JK I haven't even made goals for this year yet... so I've already procrastinated in 2025๐Ÿ˜ฎ‍๐Ÿ’จ I'm cooked

Word of the week: basta (Whatever)
Might be my new favorite word

ESPN Top 10 Highlights of the Week:

10. I think there were probably about 2 or 3 times this week I had to shower with one eye on a cockroach at all times. Yesterday there was one on the wall and I was locked onto it ready to sprint out if it even flinched.๐Ÿชณ

9. We've been trying to save money any way that we can so we went to the palengke Friday morning because apparently it's cheaper. Firstly, we had to wake up early to go to get the “freshest” meat. And when we got there holy it STINKS๐Ÿคข! There's legit rats running across the floor over people's feet๐Ÿ and mystery sticky juices on the floor, the food cannot be safe like there's no way. The FDA would shut this place down in a heartbeat. Nevertheless, we purchased some grey chicken breasts for a little cheaper than the mall. So if in the next email I say I have tapeworms, well this is why.๐Ÿซค

8. Our smoke alarm has gone off in the middle of the night like 4 times this past week๐Ÿ˜‘. It legit makes me mad, it's already hot and hard to go to sleep and then the fire alarm goes off at like 3 AM...bruh. I would just throw it out the window but it's kind of a necessity so we don't burn alive unexpectedly in the middle of the night. So far we haven't burned the house down though, our alarm just thinks we are.

7. We grilled in our house. Let me make it clear ☝️๐Ÿค“ I said it was a bad idea but Elder Bulilan insisted. It kind of worked with no smoke by having the fan just blow it all out our window but the ash got EVERYWHERE๐Ÿ˜‘. And our room still ended up smelling like smoke and chicken afterwards. But the chicken was pretty good so I'd say it was worth the experiment.

6. We have transfer calls this week, but I don't think I'll be moving. If anyone does it will be Elder Bulilan, my comp that I've been with this whole time here in the Philippines. He requested to stay because we work well together. He's pretty cool and we get along so it works out.

5. Our mission president did his regular check in interviews this week. He's kind of the GOAT, he was super nice and they went really well so that's good. The Mission President and I are just tight like that I guess. He will be switched out halfway through this year and replaced by a mission president from Utah!

4. We extended 3 Baptismal dates this week and they all accepted๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜„ Should be for January 26. So hopefully they can stay locked in and still be good for that date. We're seeing lots of progression in our area through different referrals and findings. This month we're HOPING for 5 so we'll keep praying for them and inviting them to church.

3. I sang some fire karaoke again! Why am I becoming a singer out here in the peens?? Idek but the families love it.๐Ÿ˜ I sang “Aint got you”- Alicia Keys and “When I was your man” - Bruno Mars. It was pretty sensational if I do say so myself. The sister missionaries joined us for the visit and they just whispered into the mic so I think we won the families hearts over with song, which is clutch because the ward usually loves the sisters and we need dinner appointments too.๐Ÿฅบ

2. Because of New Years, everyone invited us over to try their best meals! We legitimately had 6 meals that day, just going from house to house trying everyone's cooking. We ate lots of spaghetti (banana ketchup Style obvi), surprisingly famous on new years was pig guts and potatoes (not a huge fan). Nothing too great but also nothing too nasty, thankfully. I was really full after and we did find the best cook out of all our friends, so we'll have to return to her as much as possible.

1.We celebrated new years this week and it was CRAZY. New years here is bigger than Christmas so they went all out. Like legit the atm lines were full because everyone was cashing out.๐Ÿค‘ People prepared so much food and 12:00 on new years… It was a warzone. I thought China just invaded the Philippines๐Ÿช–⚠️. There were tons of fireworks, and everyone was just making as much noise as possible. Everyone removed the mufflers off their motorcycles and were just revving the engines. Safe to say I got little to no sleep that night but it was pretty impressive. Yeah the Philippines doesn't have flushable toilets, but they have infinite fireworks! ๐Ÿ˜ just the Necessities. 

Spiritual na isip:

2 Nephi 9

51. Wherefore, do not spend money for that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy. Hearken diligently unto me, and remember the words which I have spoken; and come unto the Holy One of Israel, and feast upon that which perisheth not, neither can be corrupted, and let your soul delight in fatness.

I really like this verse and how it puts into perspective our Earthy desires and our temporal wants. Yes while they can bring us temporary joy here on Earth, the greatest happiness we can find is in the gospel, which transcends this Earthy plane to our life after this one. 

The words of God are everlasting and His grace is for all. He only asks for your love and devotional and a little of your time. 

So this new year I invite you to prioritize the things which perisheth not and cannot be corrupted. Prioritize your scripture reading, prayer, and sabbath day worship, and as you do, you will be granting yourself joy in this life and the one to come. 

——————————

Appreciate You guys,

Elder Tyson Smith





No comments:

Post a Comment